Media ethics

By Donna Baeck

All four code of ethics for journalists are crucial for reporting. If I were teaching a crash course on media ethics for sixth graders, I would focus on seeking the truth and acting independently.

I would teach my students they should be wary about what is on the Internet as they gather information and material for academic purposes or their own personal consumption. When it comes down to "seeking the truth" my students should understand reliable news outlets must take responsibility for the accuracy of their work. If a news outlet is being fishy about what sources were used in its reporting or unable to verify the statements being made, the information should NOT be used or trusted. I think this is important for my students to grasp because whether or not they are a reporter, they should learn to detect good and reliable sources before consuming the information as fact.

Another major issue with many news outlets is that they do not act independently. I would teach my students to look for other motives and potential biases a news network or source could have. I think my students should know how to distinguish advertising from news networks as well. A source's information can be skewed if they are being supported by a political party, brands or a cause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pete Buttigieg to drop out of presidential race

Chinese journalist goes missing after reporting details of the coronavirus to social media